Thursday, February 25, 2010

Just say you'll wait for me, you'll wait for me

 I found this totally ugly sock mixed in with my clothes.
It was this hideous greenish blue with oogly yellow flowers - wayy to retro for anyone to wear.
So I took it out and placed it on top of the washer cause its poor owner might want it back and because I certainly did not want it.

I am the poor owner.

 

These socks used to be the same color.
Now I have one seriously super ugly sock and one beautiful blue and white christmas sock.
I found out because I found I hadn't washed one of them - it was hiding under my bed. When I found it and I couldn't find the other, I remembered the gross one on top of the washer that was mysteriously in my clothes batch.

Just can't escape daily life.
But, I can't say when the last time I dyed my clothes was. So I guess it isn't that daily for me.
Learning to forgive India for not having bleach quickly and to get over at frustration with the washing machine for doing such a poor job, such as putting a green shirt in with white clothes and with hot water is a daily thing. 
I got over this one pretty quickly. There was clearly nothing to be done, and it is still a sock. I wouldn't wear it with shorts in public anywho. 
Now it is just funny, if kinda sad.
It is one ugly sock.


So,
we are traveling this weekend to some caves!! I'll be sure to post pictures, because it promises to be amazing.
I went to an art lecture on the art and architecture of the caves - it took 18 years to carve 31 Buddhist retreat caves into a big slab of mountain. I love lectures. They give you so much insight that you can't just get from seeing, or talking to guides. nope. Lectures, special lectures and presentations - they are usually personal projects that these people have invested in and they know a lot. sooo much. it is so intimidating to talk with people like that. I just sit in awe.
One thing though, is that I am at a university. I am always surrounded by intellectuals. everyone talks about the education level of India and while I have spent time in both an elementary government run school and a high school privately owned school - I am constantly around intellectuals. Students, teachers, researchers, people who are educated.
I haven't spent nearly the amount of time "in the field" like I thought I might, like I want. 
I am in India, but I am still looking at the world through an educational lens. I am learning about culture through academics. 
That isn't to say that I am not learning real world things. But... I don't know.

Hopefully this summer will give me what I am looking for - pure cultural immersion.
With the program I'm looking at, I will be working full time doing interviews and research on topics of my choice, but also having the opportunity to really work with non-profits and build grassroots projects from the ground up, so the natives can learn to support themselves in different way.
I hope I can help people learn to help themselves through love, kindness, guidance and assurance that it will all be ok.