Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Family traditions never get old







There are a lot of things I love.
Among them are get togethers and family, traveling and meeting new people, and recently,
being domestic.
As in, I really enjoy cooking, and decorating my space, to make it feel like my very own home.
And I want it to look lived in, I want it to reflect my past, my roots, my interests, my loves.
And when I travel, I make it a point to not forget where I came from and what I love about home, to take a little piece of what I have learned growing up with me wherever I go.

And so get togethers with family that I love, in beautiful places with lots of yummy food... it just all makes me very happy.


Luckily, I come from a family that also loves and even throws great get togethers, whether for a reason, or just because it is high time to get together, eat yummy food, meet people that know you but you don't know them, and just catch up and laugh, an inevitable part of being together.

This weekend I headed into the middle of nowhere for a birthday party for the Pog.

The Pog was beautiful, just like she has always been.
She has always been the most elegant lady I've known.

The house was beautiful, because my aunt is a wonderful decorator, who really utilizes what she has and makes it look its best.
I think it is high time for a Southern Living nomination.
To boot, she is a great hostess!

And what made the house even more beautiful was that its surroundings were in full bloom.
The middle of nowhere is beautiful.

The middle of nowhere has been in my family for a while - in fact, the middle of nowhere pretty much consists of my family. But my family has deep roots in this place, and so when I go there, despite how much I dislike the middle of nowhere, I get caught up in the history, and mystery, and potential of the place and how I can carry little pieces of that place and all it means to my family with me wherever I happen to be going.

A few glimpses of the weekend: