Friday, February 24, 2012

the unbearable lightness of being

"Is this your first time in India?"

"Yes. Do you think we'll be alright?"

"It's going to be extraordinary."


It's times like this, as I test and buy beds from Ikea and put down payments on an apartment and search for a solid, long lasting bookcase, all items that one day will hold considerable weight in my life, that clearly are already extremely meaningful in a way that I can't quite understand, that the unbearable lightness of being is simply unbearable and I can't help but lament that I have put money down on an apartment and a bed and a bookcase.
And not a ticket back to India or some other wonderfully indescribable and exciting place.




"In India, we have a saying. Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end."