Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I can't cover everything that has happened.
Our Sumana sent us a list of all the things we have done since we reached the school (a week and a half ago!!) and although I remember doing all of those things, I can't believe I did!
There are so many little things that have been done, that have been said - I want to share it all but sometimes I feel like I get so much information, I can't recall half of it. A lot of it I find amusing, insightful, good advice... I just can't seem to find it all when I want to put it down.

But, this week is a short week. There is a holiday Thursday (Sankriti/Pongal) and I don't have classes on Fridays so... free timeee

I am going to go see this on Thursday:

http://www.in.com/videos/watchvideo-mayakkamoxymoretrailer-3646161.html

And this on Saturday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPQU9Egoe2Q


Both should be wonderful.

I have made a few Indian friends - Osham, Godwin and Alehkya and I had class with them today. These friendships consist merely of smiling, nodding and sometimes small hand waves. But at least they look at me.
I had the most uncomfortable situation of being the only white girl on the bus today. We kept picking people up on the way to our destination and, crowding on, everyone that came to be on the bus would look at me, and try to sit as far away as possible. At one point, I had an entire bus row to myself and there were men sitting on each others laps. There must be something else wrong with me.
Uncomfortable. Awkward.

I haven't been sleeping well. I apparently don't look well either, because my parents continuously ask if I am eating properly, why I look so tired, why I am down, if I am ok.
But I think it is the malaria pills. Malaria is a fever, Riane tells me. So, taking the pills induces vivid dreams and hallucinations, often like a fever can do.
That would explain why my grandmother had webbed fingers encased in an alien-like translucent sac in my dream and she was chopping potatoes, because chopped potatos made them feel better when she covered her hands in them. That would explain why in my mind, it justified why we eat so many potatoes here.
It would also explain why Riane thinks that our lights flicker in the middle of the night, or why I wake up in the middle of the night and ask her who she is talking to. I don't know about this one, but it also makes sense to blame my dream thoughts of pigs outside my second floor window rubbing their backs on the glass and sneezing.
It possibly explains why Tyler stole his roommates covers and crawled into his bed in the middle of the night, clutching his roomies pillow.

Maybe India itself makes you go crazy.