Friday, January 29, 2010

The Lovely Bones

Sometimes I turn my headphones up so loud that I can't even hear myself think.


I spent a little bit of time today musing about what it takes for things to heal. I learned today that turmeric, a popular Indian spice that is bright yellow and gives mustard its color, can heal just about anything.
I can appreciate that.
If Indians get injured, they rub turmeric on their injury, wrap it up, and it magically heals days quicker than it normally would.
I wish they had a turmeric for all kinds of healing that needs to be done.

Imagine all of the things that need to be healed. Not fixed. Healed.
Healing is holistic process. Healing is done from top to bottom and doesn't leave a single harmful thing untouched, unhealed.

Can everything and anything be healed? Where does it go, the hurt? And what happens once it is gone?
Does it end up in a book or a blog? Is it cooked in with chicken biryiani and eaten by a family of 8? Does it go ride a pony to a pond full of egrets that follow buffalo around to observe their symbiotic relationship? Does it disappear like the scarf of a woman in a convertible? What if it ended up in your sick day tomato soup bowl, and stared back at you, dip after dip that cannot ruin its image? What would you do when you found someone else's hurt floating around next to your saltines?
Or does it fly around like a kite, released 20 more feet by its unwilling owner, who wants to let go of the pain, but needs it around as a reminder of things that have happened? And what happens if it snaps by accident and then it is gone and there is nothing to be done but let the hurt go away?
how many people letting go of hurt kites at the same time does it take to make all of the pain and hurt go away?
when do you know that it is just time to let go, instead of fight to keep it around and know that it won't leave you forever, it just won't hurt as much?


I never came to a conclusion.


Today, this made me happy:

A care package from my family, full of my favorite things. And a newspaper dated January 6! Today is the 29th!


 
TWO boxes of delicious Wheat Thins, a ginormo tub of peanut butter, a computer/camera cord, a newspaper, raisins, and my favorite Nature Valley bars. 
With every up there is a down. 
Today, this made me unhappy:

a bug attack


 
it ate me for supper