Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The world at large

I'm not really up on my futbol - I mean, I went on the FIFA website to see if India was playing (they aren't) but there is one thing that I know about futbol - it has recently brought a lot of the world together. Not everyone is participating in the World Cup, and that's ok. A country's strength does not lay solely in it's ability to produce great athletes, but I do love that so many people are so excited and involved in the World Cup process.
I love that in the wake of the World Cup, there have been camps set up for disadvantaged youth in portions in Africa, and that these children are getting the chance to play soccer, have full meals, and learn about HIV/AIDS. Children are the future, and I'm so incredibly happy to see that people are working to ensure their success.

Shakira's song is pretty catchy, too.

It reminds me of the Commonwealth Games that Delhi was so frantically preparing for. It makes me happy to see people working (if for disillusioned reasons and in strange ways sometimes) towards making their home a better place.


More than crying at the FIFA website for reasons that are a bit unknown, my mind is being blown everyday I work at the museum.
I'm working with artifacts from a certain time period - the Middle Pleistocene period. This is also known as the Ionian Stage, a geological period that was (prepare yourself) roughly about 781-126 thousand years ago.
I am touching, washing, documenting these artifacts. Can you even imagine the world being that old? Can you imagine the person that found these items?! His name was H.W. Seton-Karr and the artifacts I am working with are things he found near Madras in India. You just know that he was most certainly Indiana Jones.
It just absolutely blows my mind that there is evidence of how OLD the earth is and how there is clear evidence of humanity at that time.
I simply cannot fathom life, daily routines, speech, rituals, EXISTENCE at that time.


This world is an amazing place.