Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sometimes, it's hard to get your work done around here.


I mean, c'mon.
One thing I have always known, but is constantly being reinforced, is how much I need something to pick up and cuddle around its neck. Someone that knows when I'm happy, knows when I'm sad, knows when I would rather be playing with them, knows that I'll lock them out of my room and they will still love me in 2 days.
My kitties are so comforting, it's ridiculous.

So, I think CofC needs to be reminded that 4 pm is tea time. I've yet to find a chai shop, my bicycle is actually comfortable and I'm not about to die every time I get on it, I'm having trouble getting credits for the yoga class I took (don't they know that yoga is a very legitimate, very real, very true, very wonderful class? Doesn't CofC know that they need happy, centered, balanced students before they can expect good grades in classes that aren't their students specialty?) I've yet to be blocked on my way to class by man, bus, by concrete, or by cow. I don't sweat through my entire class, I don't have to carry a towel to class, nor do I have to hide my sweaty thighs on my way out of class from other students with sweaty leg stains too. My teachers don't chant, they don't sing, they don't emphasize words the way I like, they don't bless and thank the earth for letting us stomp on them, their toes and finger tips aren't red, they don't have nose rings, they don't walk around barefoot, not a single one of them has a creepy moustache, they don't demand we get water for them, and in fact, nobody from downstairs brings them glasses of water and tea. I'm not getting my recommended intake of naan, aloo gobi, daal, or milk bikis, and I have far too much reading. My teachers respond to their emails too promptly and dress boring. I have too many clothing and shoe options, and so it takes me wayyy too long to get dressed, and my bookbag is super heavy because each of my classes requires a notebook and 3 textbooks each. I have classes on Fridays, and no mindblowing, absolutely jawdropping gorgeous weekend plans of ancient mystery. My hair doesn'
t curl on its own, and I've eaten my fingers to nubs because I don't have wonderful henna on my hands.

Most of all - I don't take it nearly as seriously. I mean, I'm serious. Serious, and stressed, and hopeful, and excited, and determined.
But I was connected to myself and my life, and I don't always feel it now.
I'm connected in a very different way.
Here, I'm all business. Get things done - this is how you succeed.
My priorities are wonky.
At one point in time I understood the importance of yoga and meditation in daily life, of thanking the earth for its time and patience, of approaching others with grace and compassion.
I still understand it, but I do not employ it like I should.
It's disappearing from me. My experiences are fading.
Everything I learned, I'm having trouble putting it into practice.