Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I gave my 2 weeks notice today.

While I'll miss getting paychecks (but only over Christmas), I will not miss my current miserable working condition of being in a stupid place with an incredibly rude and self-important GM.

Meanwhile, Life Goes On.
I have come to realize that I am not the aimless type, wandering around doing odd jobs just to get by. Despite my fondness for this type of lifestyle (thanks, Kerouac) and maybe even once entertaining the idea that I liked the idea of wandering around in search of whatever it is that people search for while wandering around, that I could be that person, I am not, in fact, that person.
And... I haven't ever been.
Romantic? Yes, I am. In theory. Kinda. In books and all.

Anyways.

What I have come to realize is that I do not want a "job."
I am actually searching for a "career."
While I am not looking for complete security and comfort and a home and stability, etc. I want to know that I am in a mutually beneficial relationship, both giving and receiving. I appreciate seeing the fruits of my labor, not in monetary terms, although it is nice, but I like knowing that I am doing something worthwhile and something I like.
Which consequently, means I have an awesome degree that I will actually be using, because I DO NOT BELIEVE AT ALL that you have to work just to get by - I do think that I can be doing what I like and want to be doing, while also maintaining the flexibility of being able to pick up and go, because that is what my career lets me do - asks me to do - wants me to do.

I recently got a degree in a subject that lets me philosophize, wander around foreign countries and museums alike, read endlessly both classic literature with important academic yet everyday insights and the books that are always on discount at Barnes and Nobles because nobody else cares about the Religions of the World and their Famous Places or the methodology behind cultural assimilation, attend dance classes and performances alike, and have a solid understanding of the human body, mind and human rights issues across the globe, and write papers on the stuff I spent hours on the internet, in the library/lab/field/abroad or wherever I want to be, researching.

yayy anthropology!



On another note, I actually spent some time outside of work and interning yesterday to see a sunset from my rooftop, and to document the work I have been doing with my internship (meaning, I work for an amazing dance company with a beautiful vision and the interdisciplinary and multifaceted works of art produced make me a very proud intern.)