Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

It's Thanksgiving night and I'm watching a special on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, which I watched earlier this morning from my couch in Brooklyn.
This year's parade was the 85th year of the parade.
It's a special featuring all of the hosts, since its first broadcast in 1932(?), a history of the special day, and all of the memories that come with the Macy's Day Parade - all of the marching bands, all of the Rockettes performances, all of the rockstars and Broadway stints, the balloons and the floats and the movies and tv shows that have mentioned or given a cameo to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, all of the times it has been cancelled because of using the balloon rubber during WWII, or almost about to be cancelled due to Sept.11, and of course, the weather.
And somewhere along the way, someone stated that the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is one of those things that you always have important memories attached to - something you always remember.

And I love that. Because I don't think I thought about it until every single one of those hosts tonight mentioned it. I mean, I know that I always associate the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and post dog show with Thanksgiving, and turkey and family and picking up pecans in Bishopville and trampoline jumping when I was smaller and the day after Christmas tree buying with my family and
strangely enough, Susan's house at the kid's table and after dinner walk around Converse Heights, but I never really thought about it - I never really put it all together.
Now I do have a new, and very distinct and meaningful memory associated with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade... I will forever remember Thanksgiving 2011 as the Thanksgiving I lived in NYC by myself, and made tomato soup and an apple cranberry crisp at 2 in the morning and slept late enough to have to watch the Macy's Day Parade on television and ran to my roof to see if I could hear the parade from Brooklyn and read China Boy in the coat check closet while hearing people outside my banishment closet eating and enjoying their time with their loved ones.

Luckily, it didn't kill me, and now I'm stronger.
Thanks to all of my family and loved ones, whose support and advice and love and strength truly got me through this holiday without being physically by my side.
I know it was hard being together, and hard for us to be apart.
You are in my heart and thoughts each and every day, but especially... especially today.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving and I absolutely cannot wait to see you all at Christmas.