Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tuesday

Free days turn into busy days in light of the upcoming Gala and 10th anniversary performances of Shen Wei Dance Arts.
Luckily, I feel useful, and like I have friends there. Not best buds, but I trust them, and we have fun together.
Today, I was given 2 gifts - one physical, the other verbal.

"If the motherland is not united, I have no will to go to work."
A replica of a popular old notebook from early Communist China, I love my new empty little notebook, with the image of a family on the front, and old musty brown pages, with the communist star at the corner of each page, it was a gift from Shen Wei and his assistant Stephen, who have recently returned from China.
Somewhere along the way I guess they heard I liked to write, and that I take notes obsessively, and that I carry 2 notebooks around already - one for thoughts and quotes and choreography and music, the other for random stuff, like grocery lists and directions and things to do.

The other gift was a comment made by one of the Shen Wei staff, as we were talking about what comes after December... of course, I am welcome to stay and continue to work with them. But I would easily be able to find a paying arts admin job, and that I had a whole office of references should I need them to vouch for me.

As I am in a strange transitioning area in my life (does it ever stop?), knowing that I have support from people I have freely pledged my time to, despite some mishaps along the way, is a positive thing that makes me extremely happy for the chance I have been given to work with this company.