Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Jet lag day

I am in Gozo.

Spent an hour on a bus/ferry combo to get here, spent the last 2 days having "get over your jet lag day" for all of the students, etc.
One girl never made it and now we know why - on her way here from Valletta, she was in a car crash and broke her back. Her mom flew in sometime recently and filled the summer school in, because we couldn't get in touch with her.
This makes me so sad. But I am glad she is ok. Supposed to recover fully. I'm glad her mom came.

I have a new friend - his name is Max/Sid. He has a goat. It's name is:
Dick Versilles Demetri "Billy the Kid" Moutavelles Trickle
a.k.a Gruffy
His mom found out they had it, and he thinks his brother killed it. And ate it.
Ew.


We have yet to meet all of the staff, but tonight is a big let's all have dinner night, so maybe we might meet them then and figure out what the hell we are all doing here. We are all a bit worried about the structure and organization - my biggest issue, and i know everyone will roll their eyes and groan, but really, I'm not that interested in Malta. The only reason I am here is because Thailand fell through and I needed the credits in a different, cheaper way than spending another semester in college.
I hope I can figure out what I am doing here, and research something I like. I like the people a lot, and I like the place. But it was just never on my radar as someplace to go and research, etc.

On a few other funnier notes:
I am living with a bunch of Europeans who happen to be freakin hilarious, mainly due to the lack of filters they have. They can say whatever they want and refuse to believe that it offended anybody. I love it. Probably because I tend to not be the person that they are "burning". The best part, I think, however, is that it isn't just me laughing at their funny stories, words, accents, etc. Which makes me sound incredibly childish (Riane, I have been playing so much Name that Nationality... I missed one guy's... he's from Slovenia. hahahaha when he told me he was like yea, you know. Galaxy, universe, world, Europe, Slovenia. I was like oh, yea. Right.) No, the best part is that they laugh at me, too. So it is kinda mutual, which makes me happy.

Also, I have an intense affection for Gozitan cheese... which is strange, because there is a lot of cheese, but not a lot of goats, and it is a type of goat cheese. I was literally at dinner licking my fingers to pick the powdery cheese off of my plate. Kinda gross, but not really. Nobody seemed to mind. It was super tasty on my jellyfish shaped cheese and pear stuffed pasta.

I have spoken with my mother 2 times in the 2 days that I have been here. Which is totally fine with me, because they are short convos. and I love talking to her. But the best/worst part about being in touch with family members is when they don't hear from you during international flights and you finally get to Malta and you hear your name over the loudspeaker:

"KATHERINE WONG, PLEASE AKJDHFPIADFHEOKJH"

Ok, I wonder what that was, I thought, while walking to baggage claim.

"KATHERINE WONG, ALKJSDFOIENG"

To the man next to me that I sat with on the plane, do you know what they are saying?
No, but aren't they talking about you?

"KATHERINE WONG, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR PARENTS."


embarrassing. I might have found the love of my life, that man sitting next to me on the plane (that I fell asleep talking to 2 time in 3 hours, but he was nice enough to get me a Non EU citizen customs sheet anyhow.) And my parents have called the airport on the island of Malta to make sure I contact them, and gotten them to yell over the intercom system that I need to call my parents.
Lol.

Some pictures will come later, when my picture uploader is having a better day.